Saturday, February 5, 2011

John Steinbeck... I Love You

I'm currently reading East of Eden for book club. I found mine at a local Goodwill and pursued the lovely Penguin addition for all of 75 cents due to it being a paper back. I love Goodwill for two reasons, their books and their clothes. Anyway, one of the characters, Cathy, is considered a monster. John (as much as I know him I figured we could be on a first name basis) comes right out and talks about monsters in general, some are born this way physically deformed and others are born that way as well but mentally. This is Cathy. Just to name a few of the "monstrous" things she has done so far, and I am only half way through the book mind you. She has stolen her parents money, burned their house down while locking them inside to burn with it, she used her pimp but she wasn't as smart with him and he ends up beating her within an inch of her life. She then stumbles onto Adam and Charles property, two of the main characters. Adam falls in love instantly and she knows it and uses it to her advantage. They marry shortly after much to Charles dismay. She drugs Adam that night so she won't have to sleep with him and then crawls into Charles' bed because she has always liked him more because they are so similar. After being married for a short while they leave to live in California. She finds out she's pregnant and sticks a knitting needle inside of her to try and abort the baby. She doesn't succeed and gives birth to twin boys. Shortly after she tries to leave them and Adam but he refuses and locks her in her room. When he opens the door, she shoots him in the shoulder and walks out, leaving her children behind. Now she is in a local whorehouse run my a "madame" and she slithers her way into her affections and once Faye deems her like her own daughter and signs the whorehouse over to her in her new and improved will, Cathy sets about poisoning her over a period of a couple of months until she is dead. Dear John Steinbeck, I think you understated when you called Cathy a monster.

On to wardrobe, yesterday was Friday, jeans day at school, the thing every teacher lives for, believe me. After I got home Jeff and I then had to go to a viewing for his great uncle Dick. I despise viewings. They bring back way too many memories of past viewings I've attended. I noticed since those ones from my childhood which I feel left me affected in some way, I have a hard time breathing at viewings I've attended in adulthood. Even last night, my breathing was shallowing, I was slightly dizzy and no I am not exaggerating.  I think it's the smell of those damn florist flowers that gets me every time. When I think of death, that's what I think it smells like.

I love the sweater. It's only three quarter length sleeves so I usually don't wear it in the winter unless I know it will only be for a short period of time. I picked it up $7 at my local consignment shop in town. I believe it's a Wal-Mart brand oddly enough. Usually their qualitiy is less then none but this material is thick, rich, and beautiful. I also love the buttons and the sleeves. The shirt is a Target wonder. It fits me just right. I wore it all the time after I purchased it last summer. 
The necklace is my mother's. I've had it in my childhood  since I stole it from her when I was very little. My mother doesn't wear jewelery except on special occasions so I was always "borrowing" from her. I didn't find this until probably a year ago when I was going through all my boxes left over from my move into our home. When I asked her about it she told me she bought it in her twenties from one of those jewelry parties they used to through in each others houses. I don't know about you but I would like to know when those went out of style and to bring them back. I would much rather go to a jewelry party then a Pampered Chef or Party Lite party, no offense.And I also love how things I've adopted from my mother have suddenly come back into style. I was looking through Forever 21's jewelry page and saw a necklace very similar.

We're going to the funeral today and I haven't decided if I am going to wear a dress or not. Either way I will try to get some pictures of the outfit.

No comments:

Post a Comment